Piers Morgan's defence of care homes

I have heard many, many people on Tv and radio saying that their elderly loved ones died in Care Homes and did NOT have the Coronavirus but that is what was given as their cause of death.

One man said the doctor told him “well I have to write something down”.

I don’t think these figures are accurate and I believe they are being inflated although I am not sure why.

Whatever is written on the certificate, the ONS statistics show that there is an excess of deaths in homes of 22,000. I believe the ONS far more than politicians!

Can somebody please clarify who made the final decision to discharge so many patients to care homes?When I last looked online their wasn’t much on it

NHS Managers as far as I know. The care home my Mum is in was told they were sending patients there and to have rooms ready. The Manager and her Deputy weren’t happy and told their Head Office so but they said their hands were tied.

This was discussed on the radio yesterday and because it was all panic, panic, organisations didn’t realise they could say No. They thought as it was a pandemic and was something they had never experienced before they had to comply.

The instructions were that the CareAct was going to be suspended, that assessments were going to be suspended and people wouldn’t have any choice about where they would be sent to BUT the Human Rights Act would be respected. Both statements can’t be right!

That’s what I figured,that it was the hospital managers but something Bowlingbun posted made me wonder if the decision came from higher up.

Penny,I did wonder why the care homes didn’t refuse to admit some of the patients and now I understand more.

Bowling bun,are you talking about the corona virus bill when you speak of the care act?(the one where they are limiting funds to social services because of the pandemic)I thought that was a separate thing

I remember Boris doing a priministers questions from other MP’s and he was speaking about care homes and at one stage spoke of “deep regret”(not in relation to the discharges but something else),this is quite unusual language for a politician to use so I wonder if the goverment feel more responsbility for some of the mistakes with cares homes made than they are letting on.

The 2014 Care Act is the main piece of legislation affection all aspects of care, but at the beginning of lockdown they decided that they might not be able to provide everything it specified. Yes, it probably was the corona virus bill. I was shocked when I read it, didn’t seem to respect Human Rights at all. I doubt that it was written by anyone who really understood social care at all.

Thousands have died as a result. Care home managers were told if they didn’t accept someone they’d have their funding withdrawn, real threats. Disgraceful.

Thank you for highlighting this.

I care for my husband at home and I am disgusted that my husband, who was admitted to intensive care with sepsis on Tuesday is being told he can come home tomorrow.

Carers week is the 8th to the 14th June 2020 and yet the health, safety and welfare is still being put at risk by this government.

As a very minimum carers in this country need to know when assessments will be back in place, because before we know it carers rights will be eroded and the lack of assessment the norm