New to caring

Hi, I’m newish to caring (since August) and still reeling. Very sudden. My husband fell and broke his neck and is now quadriplegic. It is ‘incomplete’ injury, so he has some sensation and movement – but basically paralyzed from chest down; can use his right hand a little. We are fortunate or unfortunate enough to be self-funding, and pay an agency providing live-in carers who do bowel management, getting him up, washed, dressed, exercise his limbs. And the reverse at bedtime and respite for me. But the money will run out. NHS has so far said he is ‘not complex’ enough to get CHC, so soon it will be Social Services only.

Meanwhile I am trying to find out people’s models of live-in care instead of costly agency so maybe we can stretch the money longer. So, anyone out there have full time permanent carers, like a team or rota? How did you do that? How much is it costing? How complicated or what help do you get re National Insurance and whatever else you have to do? It is all a huge mystery and muddle. BTW he’s 86 and of sound mind and I’m 74 also of sound mind (but sometimes of low spirits).

Hi Susan … welcome to an extremrly quiet forum as I type.

Just one obsevation from me :

__

NHS has so far said he is ‘not complex’ enough to get CHC

Interesting … was an application for CHC / NHS Continuing Healthcare rejected ???

Main thread :
https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/all-about-caring/chc-coughlan-grogan-judgements-nhs-contuing-healthcare-nhs-fnc-hospital-discharges-all-under-this-one-thread-35998

Three sections in particular :

CHC : APPLIED FOR BUT REFUSED ?

NO CHC ? : NHS CONTINUING HEALTHCARE AS AN ALTERNATIVE ( FULL SP )

NHS NURSING FUNDED CARE : AN ALTERNATIVE TO BOTH CHC / NHS CONTINUING HEALTHCARE

Others will be along to extend their welcomes … and offer advice / guidance on the day-by-day caring elements.

Hello and welcome!

I recently applied for DLA for my little three year old brother who has flaccid paralysis from the waist down from birth. Still waiting to hear back from them about my claim. I am going to try calling back on Monday to see if they have made a decision yet. Do you claim any benefits or not? The two most important ones to claim and apply for are personal independence payment and employment support allowance. Citizen’s Advice can assist you with the application forms and so on.

Do you qualify for any help or support? You can use the money to pay for care or adaptive equipment. Care providers can assist you with the following:

Cooking
Exploring the local community
Finding work
Shopping
Collecting and taking medicines
Learning new skills

The first step is a needs assessment. A social worker can come out to do one with you at your home. Call the local council on Monday to ask for a needs assessment. The social worker should also assess your financial situation as well.

Can I ask about the circumstances of the accident?
When my brother had pancreatic cancer, he was in Uruguay and I had to sell his house in the UK. Going through his paperwork I found two pension policies he’d forgotten all about, which had a Critical Illness Clause, so he could get almost £20,000 before he died.
I’m wondering if your husband has any policies which might have a similar clause?

Susan

So sorry to hear this. Must be so hard.

I am not an expert on the subject, but what I have found is that there are “gatekeepers” where finance is concerned. everything has to be fought for.

it’s hard to believe he wouldn’t be complex enough…

Good luck

Ask your GP to make an urgent application for NHS Continuing Healthcare.

The most important case of someone fighting for CHC relates to Pam Coughlan, who could do far more than your husband. What CCCG do you come under?

It’s not often I say this, but I think you should contact your MP and invite him/her to visit.

Coughlan ?

Main CHC thread again.

Sections :

COUGHLAN CASE

COUGHLAN & GROGAN CASES : HOW TO USE THEM