Finding it stressful

Social Services should be arranging appropriate care so your friend doesn’t need to ask others for help with shopping, laundry, diy etc .

With the right care and support and mental health support your friend should be able to live at home and manage alright.

Although your friend probably wouldn’t agree, there are places like help the aged who can provide volunteers to do the shopping etc, and there is normally a handyman service service available through the council to do DIY jobs.

The carers should do the laundry, that’s what carers are there for household tasks .

Ground hog day…

Today the hospital told me that someone on my friend’s NHS ward has tested positive for Coronavirus. All patients are now being tested.

The previous time she was in hospital in the spring, my friend contracted it there. The staff tried to segregate the ward between those who did and didn’t have it by moving beds. However, my friend said a lady with dementia used to wander all over the place.

With regards to her laundry, the hospital doesn’t do it but offers a collection desk for people to drop off and fetch things, including their laundry. I asked my friend to find someone else to do her second lot of laundry because I was away that week (she was already asking for a new laundry within 5 days of me dropping off a bag. I assume this is because of incontinence issues and because she does not like to wear NHS gowns and knickers).

She got very upset, said she tried but got nowhere so she saved it up for me.

To be honest, she only has a few people round her, none that live near the hospital. I have asked her to speak with her Social Worker about options to have her clothes laundered when she moves to Intermediate Care - she will be an NHS patient when she moves there and I wonder if the care home will provide a laundry service. I expect I will have to ask her Social Worker because I doubt my friend will raise it. Of course, the care home won’t touch her if she tests positive again.

At home, she gets her cleaner to do her laundry.