Discharge from a Hub Bed

I have just come out of a multi disciplinary team meeting about Mum. It consisted of senior and junior social workers, mental health nurses, the care home managers, occupational therapists, physio therapists and me. It went as well as it could, they agreed she’s not medically fit for discharge and needs another mental health review for ongoing psychiatric treatment before a plan can be made, as her condition is worse.

This is good news as the junior social worker was pushing for discharge, but as Mum has been barricading herself in her room and smashing things, threatening self harm, they had to listen.

I know they didn’t follow the law at this meeting and I called them on it. Nobody is meant to prejudge outcomes of chc according to legislation and policy. They are just meant to apply the checklist and diagnostic toolkit and use the outcome as a baseline. They were all very negative about it, but I said when Mum is stable I want them to complete the checklist and they agreed.

It feels exhausting, but also a privilege that I get to do this for Mum. I am thankful for my own legal background in contract law before teaching, as I don’t find the bureaucratic complexity intimidating, and it only makes me more determined - but of course it shouldn’t be that way.

The outcome is that social services step back and hand Mum back to the medical team for another psychological review.

The whole chc thing seems to be a lottery, which makes me furious, especially when I read about people making ill informed decisions :thinking:.

Well done. Knowledge of contract law is so useful on occasions like this, but it’s so unfair on those who don’t know the rules. NHS healthcare is supposed to be provided on the basis of patient need alone!

Well done, Alison!

That’s great news that they’ve finally listened to you and I’m grateful that your mum has you in her corner. As you say, it shouldn’t come down to who is most conversant with the rules or able to articulate and fight for the rights of patients / residents / careers etc. Well done!

Mum will start antipsychotic medication next week- that we could see it and professionals couldn’t amazes me.
Also that her behaviour had to escalate to danger point for them to notice. :pensive:

So, I just spoke to the doctor about my Mum, two weeks after that multi disciplinary team meeting, based on my notes from visiting, they agreed to start antipsychotic medication and try to admit her to a psychiatric bed - finally.

It was my detailed visit and phonecall diary entries that showed her symptoms, not the communication of the care home staff, or the community mental health team, who visited twice in 4 weeks. I feel like I have done their job for them. It will be sad, but I feel it is a deep act of love to get Mum what she needs :pensive:

Nothing happens unless I make a big noise about it - I will start shouting (metaphorically) soon.

Well done Alison.
It’s such a tough process to go through, an emotional roller coaster ride.
Writing so many sad things about mum’s current condition when you really want your “old” mum back hurts so much, but at least mum had you to stick up for her and arrange what she needed when she is so poorly.
Try to relax a bit now, and look after yourself.

Thanks, I will try. I am worried that there are no beds available .