Christmas in Hospital - any survival tips?

My father is currently in hospital. Unfortunately the LA are saying it won’t be possible to get his care package up and running before Christmas and that he can’t go home. I was really upset about this yesterday (its not the first time they have struggled to meet his needs). I think this is likely to be his last Christmas so I wanted to make it special. I know I need to get over my own disappointment and focus on him. Any suggestions for how I could make it special for him despite him being in hospital ( with very miserable staff - most of whom aren’t from the UK and don’t seem to celebrate it)?

A thread started by BB covering the festive season … for some … will come in handy here :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/tips-and-practical-advice/beware-the-pre-christmas-discharge-season-39256

__

Any suggestions for how I could make it special for him despite him being in hospital ( with very miserable staff - most of whom aren’t from the UK and don’t seem to celebrate it ? )

Others will be along to answer that one.

If those " Non " UK workers don’t celebrate our style of Christmas , many will not have much reason to … locals here in Worksop resigned to spending Christmas
away from their families ( Again ) as their wages are too low to do much else.

Sorry if that came across wrong or insensitively. It wasn’t my intention … I do appreciate that many from other cultures and people here in the UK dont celebrate Christmas for a whole variety of reasons (not having money being one of them).

We ourselves dont have a lot of money. I wasn’t proposing to do anything fancy. We’ve just had a horrific year , in fact the past 5/6 years have been like hell. We haven’t been able to do anything ‘normal families’ do - celebrate birthdays/ going on holiday , anything. I had just hoped that we might have one day with a few hours of happiness but obviously that’s not meant to be.

Thank you.

No problem whatsoever , Faye.

Where I live , 9 of my 11 immediate neighbours are East European … I see their problems daily.

Almost all are here through economic reasons … to provide for their families … being isolated does not help their outlook … especially this time of the year.

( Auf Wiedersehen , Pet … in reverse. )

Hi Faye, I am sorry to hear that your father is in hospital. You are obviously a loving, caring daughter. As long as you are there with your father - that’s what matters.
If your dad likes listening to music you could take along a small transpotable radio for him.
You could postpone Christmas and have a celebration when he comes out of hospital.

Faye, I think you may end up with the either hospital or nursing home option because everything else hasn’t worked.
I know it’s not what either of you want, but it seems to be what is the only realistic option left.
You NEED to get back to a normal life, and dad’s illness means that he’s going to need more and more until he dies.
I’ve been in that situation, it’s horrible. All you can do now is to focus on needs, not wants.

__

All you can do now is to focus on needs, not wants.

Seconded.

Dare I mention a certain thread again … ?

Yes Chris, definitely Continuing Healthcare territory, especially given a terminal illness.
Faye, I really do think you should point this out to the nursing staff.

Coming right up … the festive season number 2 ?

Save Faye trying to locate it :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/all-about-caring/chc-coughlan-grogan-judgements-nhs-contuing-healthcare-nhs-fnc-hospital-discharges-all-under-this-one-thread-35998

FAST TRACK NHS CONTINUING HEALTHCARE ( NOT JUST FOR END OF LIFE ! )

Hi Faye,
I know its very disappointing, however, your father is probably better off in hospital as agencies struggle to cover all the visits over Christmas and New Year and your father wouldn’t cope with any missed visits.

Faye’s idea sounds lovely - why not visit him on Christmas Day itself and spend sometime together with Christmas music, presents, treats and reminiscing and then have a second celebration (how you hoped it would be) once he is out of hospital.

Bear in mind, even if the ward staff aren’t celebrating Christmas, there will be volunteers and visitors who are, so they should liven things up a bit.

Perhaps use FaceTime or Skype so others who know your Dad, can say hi to him and he to them too.

Melly1