Carers costs are wrong

Yeah, I will do. My masters was hard, but it wasn’t so much the work just life around it. I liked my course but it wasn’t what I originally wanted either, so I had a few issues with that.

I originally wanted to study journalism at Salford uni since the campus is right in media city. If you’re good it’s practically a guaranteed job, but dad got ill and I couldn’t go. The course would have also offered a proper journalism qualification now which is often an industry requirement though not always. I always felt like I had missed out on a carer for not having it.

My old home town uni didn’t do journalism, so I opted for English instead. I liked the course. I didn’t have the greatest love for English in school, but that was down to the books we had to do. I loved studying children’s literature as part of my masters.

However I loved my undergraduate dissertation. I’m a big British comedy nerd and chose to study that. I did quite well and I would like to follow in the footsteps of that for a PhD.

I’m not sure I will get any funding, but I will certainly look into it. A student loan would effectively pay the course fees and give me a few thousand extra to live off each year. It works itself out.

My job is very flexible, and it will be even more flexible once the changes come into effect. I have no idea when they will though, hopefully this year. My work colleagues are the best team ever, and we let each other get away with so much. So I expect they will be very happy about me doing it.

1 Like

No advice but good luck.

Thanks. I do feel different. There’s a long way to go, but baby steps. I’m not out of the woods yet really. I still have problems with panic attacks and nightmares which I still suspect is a sign of ptsd for a whole range of reasons, but I feel different. I feel optimistic really like I used to. The idiot who has a million and one things they want to achieve in the next five minutes.

Leaving everything behind has just given me the opportunity to think. It’s given me the opportunity to break down walls in my own special ways, only I’m not the sort to go on a path of self destruction. I was like it in school if anyone told me I couldn’t do anything, it made me want to do it more. I once got told by my head of year, “the problem with you is you just have to much false hope, you want things that will never happen.” Those words stuck with me.

Leaving things behind is giving me scope to do things my way.

I’m not sure where getting a PhD may lead me, but it’s something I feel strongly like I need to do. Really I just have to apply and put together a research proposal which I already have a pretty good idea of.

Go for it. Do your research but you are obviously highly intelligent and this does sound a huge step forward towards a good financially rewarding career. I agree totally with talking to your old tutor.