Boris to discuss easing lockdown as he returns to No 10

Denis

I believe this forum is and should be a place where people can say exactly how they feel.

Thank you Cloudygal, for clarifying this conversation. And of course also those with the Covid-19 symptoms should also stay at home.

Exactly so, Cloudygal. I have no wish to censor anyone. Readers of this site will judge for themselves whether or not contributions are helpful to carers. If something is unacceptable and needs to be censored, that is for the moderators to decide.

On the one hand I have moments when I feel like a caged lion prowling round the cage, desperate to escape, but I’m the other hand I know if I got the virus my chances of survival would be poor. I love the fact that our usually busy road is quiet. I love hearing the birdsong, hate not being able to pop into my favourite shops, often the charity shops looking for sewing bargains. Most of all I hate not being able to see my son, to give him a big hug, to have him home and be a proper mum, doing the things we like, going down the market, having coffee in the church cafe where two ladies always have a big hello for him, they’ve known him over 30 years. On the other hand I’m grateful for the care he has, but sad he is alone for 19 hours a day. So much death, misery, suffering right across the world because of something that happened in China?!?!

I have mixed feelings too. Feeling trapped, in a way, not able to go where I want, when I want. Miss my family and the affection from them. Enjoying the quieter surroundings and slower pace of life. I miss hubby, but am glad there is no anxiety of not being able to visit the nursing home or hospital, wondering how he really is. When I see the heartbreak people are going through, I count my blessings. Am doing as instructed by the government, to keep my family and friends as safe as possible, and myself. My great Granddaughter is now using her high chair. Have things to look forward to, including a family get together, where she will be joining us at the table. Little things, that will be even more sweeter for the wait. I personally feel adjusting back to normality may take some doing.

Honey Badger

I am very much on the same page as you

To say I am extremely disappointed with the government’s handling off this would be a massive understatement.

I also fear that we will suffer cuts as time goes on…the money has to come from somewhere…why not the vulnerable.

Thanks, Honey Badger, for your carefully considered comments. I respect your opinion too and certainly do not disagree with any of the points you make.

Just as Vera Lynn lifted spirits during wartime (and we are probably going to hear a lot about that today - VE Day anniversary) if we carers can adopt a cheerful and stoic persona, then this enhances our dealings with our carees and their problems.

Unfortunately, when I acknowledged some of the problems facing the government, and mentioned one or two positive points about its measures, some readers have seen this as my taking side with the government, though this is not the prevalent viewpoint.

Let me say that, in common with pretty well everyone on this forum, I could give you a long list of things I think various governments have messed up over the years. Accountability will come at the next general election when, if we don’t like what this government has done, we have the chance to put someone else in charge.

But OK, I get the message. If contributors think that it is appropriate in this forum to criticise the government and generally say what they please, so be it. It’s a free country. There may be a purpose behind such discussions, even if we don’t all see it.

I did not say that I agreed with censorship. I made an observation of a declining morale within this forum during this lockdown. If some have inferred that as my saying that I felt some posts were inappropriate, then I am sorry I did not make myself clear.

It is right that this forum has moderators who will weed out inappropriate comments, e.g. comments that may be perceived as hurtful or insulting, or salespeople masquerading as carers, trying to peddle insalubrious products. There is rightfully a strong moral objection to politicians suppressing information in the interests of their own political gains.

I hope I have made my position clear. Best wishes as we continue to cope with this difficult situation. We’ll get through it.

It happened yesterday. I took my wife for a drive in the country. Time well spent! She is greatly refreshed.

Welsh ministers met twice yesterday to discuss the current lockdown and we should hear the results of those discussion from the First Minister for Wales later today. We’ve been told that there may be some changes, but also that said changes will be minor as they’re going to be taking a very cautious approach to getting the country back up and running over the next several months.

we got a text from dr surgery saying …

i hope you are well . i have received notification that you completed the goverment self referral form to be added to the shielding list for patients at very high rish of complications of covid 19 infection .i have reviewed your medical records and i think you are at moderatley higher risk .but you are not in the very highest risk group . this means you should adopt enchanced social distancing measures. although shielding for 12 weeks is an option you might choose . it is not mandatory for you . call to discuss

all though we have got copd , asthma , broncoextitis , sleep apena , keep getting infections , we have been in isolation since 15 th march with no or very little contact from the outside world not even from mental health all though contacting them all the time …

Providing that everyone respects each other’s point of view, keeps on topic and abides by our Community Guidelines then we Moderators will not intervene - we will only intervene when/if topics start to get nasty to the point of name calling (oh yes, we’ve had that in the past :frowning: ) or making comments that could be construed as libellous.

The lockdown continues here in Wales for a further 3 weeks as Mark Drakeford announces some very minor changes for those not in the shielded group. From Monday exercise will be allowed for more than once a day as long as it is taken close to home, garden centres will allowed to reopen as long as they can stick to social distancing guidelines and local councils are being asked to look at how they can reopen local libraries and recycling centres. Those in the shielded group are still being asked to follow the guidelines they were sent in the recent letter from the Welsh CMO.

Strange . . . There were two conversations with exactly the same title, but now they seem to have coalesced. I hope readers do not find the interspersing of the posts too confusing.

I merged them into one as I thought it could confuse people if they were getting two lots of notifications with the same title (it certainly confused me :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: ) especially if they replied on one conversation and then couldn’t find their post !

Think there’s a lot of confused members of the public right now.

Am really surprised by the announcement Boris made on sunday about some people returning to work etc.The language of the goverment since lockdown has been so cautious and they have been quite cagey about their plans for the future and the announcement seems at odds with all that.I don’t think they should have changed the slogan yet.I agree with Nicola Sturgeon on that.The whole thing about being able to drive as far as you want for excercise too…Some regions of the country have lower infection rates and obviously if you have people driving in from different areas then that could cause issues.Why not ease the lockdown region by region depending on each situation?I figured that’s what they’d do

The government wants us to get out there and start working again. Expect some outbreaks.

Who only knows how the London Tube , train and buses will be. What did happen to the notion of reducing separation distance from 2 meters down to 1?

I too have reservations about about driving as far as you like and am surprised that this restriction has been relaxed.

So, let’s see! A family decides to drive to the Lake District to take exercise - do some hill-walking maybe. They are not going to be able to avoid social interaction are they! For a start, if they are are going to be absent from home for several hours, maybe overnight or more, they are going to need to draw on various services. They will need refreshments, use of toilets, etc.

And what if lot’s of others have the same idea? Can you see where we are going?

My advice to readers is don’t think of long journeys just yet.

Basically

The government needs to get some money coming back in fast…

They are missing all that stamp duty

We are not going to drive anywhere that’s not local.

Still the same applies if you break down…you need to be rescued.

Or if you have a car accident could end up in hospital.

No thanks.

We are staying put.

One close walk a day and thats it.

Second wave on the way, unfortunately.