Voting

Before I get arrested for starting a big argument on Facebook about a persons right to vote can someone explain what I should or shouldn’t be doing…

We use a postal vote, my mum is blind and has dementia, I have POA…

If I read out the names on the postal form and the parties they represent then she tells me who she wants to vote for even though she would be classed as having no mental capacity…

I then put the cross in the appropriate box and she doesn’t have to sign as she is exempt for being blind…?

Am I so far committing any fraud ?

Hi Lesley,

A person is assumed to have mental capacity unless it is proved otherwise. They can have mental capacity for some decisions but not for others. If your Mum can understand what you are saying and make a choice, which she you record for her - then I believe that is acceptable.

S has autism and related learning disability, he can make decisions about everyday things. He has a vote and uses it. He doesn’t understand all the ins and outs of politics - but I’m sure many folk who vote, don’t either!

Melly1

Thanks for the reply…it’s always a 50/50 call as a person was complaining on facebook about Postal vote fraud…

Yes you can argue that my mum might say one party and I tick another box…or I may not even ask her at all and just go with what party she has always voted for but I don’t think you could guarantee 100% that if I took her to a polling station that someone there wouldn’t go against what she has asked.

The argument started on Facebook because I was trying to say my mum still has a right to vote even though she is disabled

Thanks again x x

Linda, my mum always voted even when she had dementia. Funnily enough, she always remembered her political views!

I agree with Melly unless your mother has been officially declared by medical professionals as having no capacity, not the same as dementia, you are doing no harm.

I would agree that she has the right to vote.

Anne