Social Care Funding and PB?

Hi, I have been trying to get my 32 year old son’s Social care funding agreed and a PB set up since Aug 2019, when he was sectioned. After month’s of chasing Social Services to find out who my son’s Social Worker was, and months more chasing him to do anything, we finally completed the Care and Support Plan, etc in Sept 2020. Another 2 month’s of chasing followed when he finally told me in Dec 2020 that it had been pre-approved and just needed to go to the Full Panel. I was then advised 2 days later that he would be retiring in 3 days and he hoped things went well!

His manager took over and we had to go through it all again and it got through the pre-approval panel but was rejected by the Full Panel on 9th Feb 2021 because they needed more evidence! My son has a Support Worker and Community Psychiatric Nurse he sees once a week for 2 hours and they both agreed the hours and support I had put in was an accurate picture of the support he would need. Obviously in the past year this has been stop and start but they are both wonderful and part of the family now.

I was understandably upset and angry and sent an email back saying Social Services had wasted a year sorting this out and how could they refuse when they did not even know him, unlike his Support Worker and CPN. I have kept my patience all through this fiasco but had enough at this point.

I am used to completing benefit forms so made sure I put in as much detail as possible about my son’s needs, hours of each task he would require support for, who would do it (Personal Assistant). I also advised them I had based it on my son living alone as he has been offered a bungalow by Housing Association (not supported) and is due to move in the next month. He will not be able to do this without support in place.

My son was diagnosed with Bi-polar and psychosis when he was sectioned and Asperger’s syndrome in Jan 2020. We only started to receive support from a mental health team in August 2019, 3 weeks before he was sectioned. It has been a long battle getting him diagnosed but I did not think I would have to battle this hard for social funding, especially as he had been sectioned.

I am putting in a complaint but this takes weeks and I need funding to be sorted asap so I can sort out his PB and getting Personal Assistants employed. There is no point getting Social Services to sort his care as I know he will get different carer’s, probably no set times, which is no good for someone with Asperger’s as he suffers from sever social anxiety.

I just wondered if anyone had advice on what I can do next as I think I have now upset the social worker as not heard anything from him since my email.

Thank you

Don’t worry about upsetting the social worker, this isn’t your fault!!

BB is the expert on complaining :laughing:

In the meantime, there is some info here Making complaints | Carers UK

Melly1

Sadly, that’s true as far as SSD is concerned. In fact I’m now so fed up with our Area Team Leader that I’m formulating a complaint to the SW Governing Body. I’ve been kicked round her department like a ping pong ball, as if they are taking turns, so I say the same things over and over again, without any solution. The latest SW told me she hasn’t got time to read the file.
I am not supposed to be doing ANY caring ever again, but if the agency don’t do things for my son, I have to.
One of my friends has recently retired from being a top social worker, we went on holiday together a couple of years ago together. As it was our holiday in Greece, I didn’t want to dwell on my problems, unless my friend asked. She was horrified at the way I’ve been treated.