Not a carer, not yet a sandwich

Thank you all so much for great resources about CHC. The whole tread on here is very helpful, I even started reading National Framework for NHS Continuing Healthcare and NHS-funded Nursing Care (almost 200 pages, bloody hell). I have to say it’s all very confusing for me.

I don’t understand whether NHS will refund me for care that I will hire for mum or they will provide me with carer. If so, are they able to provide one-to-one caregiver?

I truly believe that I need a live-in carer for mum. Someone who can move in to her home not help her with washing, dressing and eating, but also be her company. I’ve done a little bit of research and I’ve found an offer for like £650 per week, but also for over £1000 per week of 24-hour care. Do you know why such a huge difference?

__

Thank you all so much for great resources about CHC. The whole tread on here is very helpful,

That’s precisely why I created it , Evie.

Read the framework ?

Be very careful … you’ll be press ganged onto the Forum " University Challenge " team with that as your specialized subject !

__

I don’t understand whether NHS will refund me for care that I will hire for mum or they will provide me with carer. If so, are they able to provide one-to-one caregiver?

First bit … charges prior to CHC / NHS Continuing Healthcare being granted ?

( I will assume a prior NEEDS assessment … and a financial assessment … spelling out who pays for what ? )

Would probably need to be upheld if a case were ever presented to the LA and Social Care Ombudsman … assuming he / she had jurisdiction over such cases.

As you now have the taste for the heavyweight stuff , try this one … a legal opinion … 59 pages worth :

https://www.landmarkchambers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/DL-CHC.pdf

Level of care ?

Depends on the conditions attached to any approval for CHC / NHS Continuing Healthcare application.

In theory , ALL care costs are covered … just how much care is needed probably the contentious bit ?

One thing definitely not on … any notion of top up fees.

Section in the main thread deals with that try on !
TOP UP FEES ? : CHC / NHS CONTINUING HEALTHCARE ( NO SUCH THING !!! )

I’ve found an offer for like £650 per week, but also for over £1000 per week of 24-hour care. >

Working time directive for one … limit of 48 hours ?

If 24 / 7 caring … 168 hours … would need 4 to comply … then , holiday / sickness cover ?

( 24 / 7 … 168 hours … minimum wage … £ 8.21 ( until 6 April 2020 ) …yields £ 1,379,28 … no additional pay for nights ( Ignore the Sleepover ruling here )
/ weekends / public holidays … assuming not agency staff … the maths do not stack up ? )

IF CHC is granted, then there should be a choice, either to let them arrange the care via an agency, OR a personal budget, where they give you an amount of money to pay for the care, provided by the people you choose.
Getting CHC granted is the biggest hurde, it is very much a postcode lottery I’m afraid.

NHS Personal Budgets … PHBs ?

Never know , might come in useful at this early stage :

What is a personal health budget? - NHS

__

What is a personal health budget ?

A personal health budget is an amount of money to support your health and wellbeing needs, which is planned and agreed between you (or someone who represents you), and your local NHS team. It is not new money, but it may mean spending money differently so that you can get the care that you need.

A personal health budget allows you to manage your healthcare and support such as treatments, equipment and personal care, in a way that suits you. It works in a similar way to personal budgets, which allow people to manage and pay for their social care needs.

Link for a lot more.