New to the forum - about me

Hi. My wife started having short term memory problems after a spinal operation in March 2017. I contacted our local memory clinic and two nurses visited our home and gave her an assessment in August of the same year. After hearing nothing from them, for 12 months, I rang them and they made us an appointment at our local clinic. The nurse there was really good, apologising for the delay, and gave her another assessment, the same as the first one. The results were similar and she decided to make an appointment 6 months later for a further test to if there had been any deterioration.
To be brief, my wife has been diagnosed with “Progressive Aphasia” and things are deteriorating and she is now on medication to try to slow this down.
Her demeanor has improved, thanks we think to the meds, but her short term memory is still causing me a great deal of frustration, for which I become racked with guilt.
I have registered myself as her carer with my GP practice via the pink card system.
I did this 3 weeks ago, now, and have heard nothing from our local carers group.
This may be a daft question, but how hard do I chase people to try to get some help in understanding what help is available to our situation? And who do I try to get help from?
Apart from 2 booklets no practical help is coming forward and I’m really struggling to come to terms with our current situation.
Wow, this is turning into quite read. Hope it’s not too long.

__

This may be a daft question, but how hard do I chase people to try to get some help in understanding what help is available to our situation? And who do I try to get help from?
Apart from 2 booklets no practical help is coming forward and I’m really struggling to come to terms with our current situation.
>

Far too common , John !

Home care services … a guide to what’s out there , and who provides them :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/all-about-caring/home-care-services-a-guide-from-the-money-advice-service-web-site-37984

In the REAL world , delays … sometimes several months … are commonplace.

In CarerLand , one needs a very loud voice for anyone outside to even hear , let alone act.

( Local carers group ? Run by the Carers Trust by any chance ? )

Welcome to the forum.
Let’s start with the practical stuff first.
How old is your wife?
Are you claiming any disability benefits?
Exemption from Council Tax?

Hello. Have you had a needs assessment or not? This is a useful guide to what’s available all over Britain

Which benefits have you applied for? The main one that is important is PIP. Also carers allowance. And ESA. How old is she?

My wife is 72 and no, no assessment yet. All of this is so new and we’re having a bit of a struggle knowing who to turn to for advice. We sort of thought that advice would come via the Memory Clinic but apart from a diagnosis…

That Home Care link is a good a place to start with , John.

Carers are invisible … until they lose their invisibility cloaks.

AGE UK … on their radar ?

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/