Dealing with Hypersexuality

My father moved into Care earlier this year with advancing Parkinson’s and Parkinson’s Dementia. He has developed hypersexuality with his dementia resulting in very inappropriate behaviour with the female residents. Just recently he was asked to leave his Care Home as they felt unable to cope with it. Luckily I have found him a Dementia Unit in a lovely Nursing Home but within 48 hours I received a phone call reporting inappropriate behaviour by Dad with a female resident.

Whilst the Home anticipate this behaviour they tell me that they are duty bound to inform me when the issue occurs. I accept this but am finding the entire situation very difficult particularly emotionally. Why do I think that I am failing in my duty of care, as Dad’s advocate and Attorney? I feel so bad for those on the receiving end of his behaviour and I dread being asked to move him again. :sleepy::sleepy:

Hi Sandra,
This must be very stressful and awkward for you.

If it were me, I think I’d be contacting the home and asking for meeting to discuss this. As it is a known risk with your father, they should be responding to the incident by putting in place plans and strategies to reduce the risk of your Father having the opportunity to display inappropriate behaviour with other residents again.

Has his consultant/doctor been informed of his difficulties with impulse control? Medication may also help.

Melly1

This is a known side effect of some Parkinson’s patients, I remember it from 50 years ago, so hardly new.
It is up to the nursing home to sort this out with the doctor, not just dump the problem on you.
It’s up to the manager to manage.
Is dad self funding, Social Services, or NHS Continuing Healthcare?

Thank you ladies, your support is very much appreciated. Dad’s Consultant knows about it but he is currently off sick. His GP prescribed some meds which help.

The first Home really didn’t know how to deal with it so asked me to move him. It was becoming obvious to me that, despite their claims to offer dementia Care, they didn’t have any real understanding of anything other than mild pottiness and safeguards were lacking. I realise now that their failure to cope transferred to me.

I am happy to say, though, that his new Home is so very much better being more secure, supportive, more lively and staffed with experienced HCAs and RMNs.

That sounds very positive Sandra.

Unfortunately a lot of care homes, special schools, units and agencies claim they are able to support and care appropriately for people with various needs when clearly they lack the expertise.

Melly1

It’s the same with people with learning difficulties, much more involved than it appears at first.
I’ve even had to explain to an LD social worker about brain damage and how it affects my son!!