New Member - 2yr old son has diabetes

im new member. really dont know where to start. my 2 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 5 month ago, havent slept since! i eat, sleep n breathe diabetes so any advice is welcome.

Hi and a warm welcome to the forum. We have a few members who know about diabetes, I’m sure they’ll be along soon to welcome you and give some advice. I’ve moved your post over here to new members, don’t worry about posting in the wrong place, that’s what us moderators are for.

Karen

Hello and welcome

Hi Jen

Welcome to the forum. I’m type 1 myself, was diagnosed at 11 and I know that was tough enough for my parents so I can’t imagine what it must be like with a 2 year old.

I really do echo what audrey said about the positives - although I rebelled a bit as a teen (!) I have definitely led a very fit and healthy lifestyle. I think the main thing to remember is that you musn’t ever let it stop your son from doing anything that anyone else does. That is one thing I have been determined about - I won’t let it stop me from doing what I want to do. For example, I ran the London Marathon in 2008 and although it was hard work it was worth it.

Don’t get me wrong, like audrey says I hate it sometimes too, usually when I get high or low readings for no reason whatsoever, have even been known to thrown my blood tester at the wall in rage!! But you have to try not to beat yourself up over it.

If you’re going to check out any other sites I would really recommend the Diabetes UK facebook page - tons of parents on there in your situation. www.facebook.com/diabetesuk

And www.diabetessupport.co.uk is a good forum too.

Any questions ask away!

All the best

Christine - Carers UK

Hi audrey, thank you so much for your reply, im nearly in tears at how welcome i feel. My son caleb, has 4 injections a day, a 24 hour acting one that slow releases insulin then insulin injections after each meal. Every 4 weeks or so he has growth sperts when that happens he has hypos so we have to up his medication. Hes going threw terrible 2s at the minute to so we are constantly testing his blood just in case hes having a hyper. On the upside, caleb is handling it really well, hes never really ate sweet things so thats half the battle.

Hello Jen,
Sorry to hear about your little boy.
Type 1 Diabetes is horrible, isn’t it?Very hard work on a small child and parents. My younger son was diagnosed aged 8 months. In 1988, we didn’t have blood testing monitors, and just two injections a day, very much more restricted eating than now.
My elder son was diagnosed almost ten years ago now,the week of his 16th birthday.He also has Downs Syndrome.
My daughter, now 21, does not have diabetes, and she went through pregnancy last year without developing it.(I tell you this as if you have other children,then I know the thoughts will run through your mind about them too).
As someone has already said, Facebook Diabetes UK site is great,there are lots of young families on there. Can compare notes with other parents,learn what to expect from diabetes nurses etc.This week is Diabetes week in UK,so lots on TV about it.
Take it day by day.Diabetes is an unrelenting disease(condition, whatever you want to call it),and it will take a long time before you stop feeling sad that your son has this.